June 15, 2009

spinnin zee records

so, i recently treated myself to a set of turntables for a graduation/birthday gift to myself, and I could not be happier about the world I've jumped into since then...

Mixing old school hip hop (a la Slick Rick, Digable Planets, and Souls of Mischief) with the jazzy vibrations of Sergio mendes, Blue note trip and Jazzanova. Finally getting a feel for the actual scratching part, it took a while to be able to "catch" a sound and play with it, but I'm learning something new everyday.

In addition, I'm working on getting some freelance work...
Reese Herrick, a San Francisco resident, and fashion stylist has the most fantastic Arts & (Sub)-culture magazine; CHAOS. Her next issue is titled "The Red Issue" (ooh la-la!). Sexy, raw, and gritty are all words that come into mind, its great to find people to collaborate with, for similar minds often come up with the most beautiful ideas with different stances.


Check out Reese's magazine CHAOS, here , in addition to her fashion styling

No comments: